Thursday, April 23, 2009

Coming soon...

I have been pregnant with my second child for almost 38 weeks, which doesn’t seem possible. Where does the time go? I have such mixed emotions about it, especially since this will probably be my last pregnancy. Here’s a recent update:

On Thursday, April 16th my doctor said I was dilated to 2cm and effaced at 25%. I was having lots of contractions for the following couple of days, but fortunately made it through the weekend. Ryan was the caterer for my cousin Shannon’s wedding on Saturday, so it would not have been good timing. We prayed about it and thankfully God answered our prayers. =)

On Wednesday, April 22nd my doctor said I was dilated to 3cm and effaced at 50%. He gave me the option to schedule an induction for next week (once I’m 38 weeks and full-term) or according to him, "let mother nature take it’s course". I explained to him how well my induction went with Ethan, since I had a different doctor and asked him if he thought it would go just as well this time. Basically, I wanted to know if he thought my body was ready and would work with me, not against me like it did with my first induction. I was dilated and effaced with Ethan, but needed a little nudge to help me establish a regular contraction pattern.
He said he felt very good about it, especially since I’m petite and carrying a decent size baby of approximately 7 – 7 1/2 lbs. He agreed with me that it's probably not a good idea for her to get too much bigger, since I’ve been dealing with bulging varicose veins this pregnancy that are both painful and unsightly.

My induction is scheduled for this Monday, April 27th at 8:00 a.m. as long as a room is available. Thankfully, my family has been very supportive and will all be with me when Emily arrives. Ryan, my mom, and mother-in-law will be with me for the entire labor and delivery. I’m both very excited and anxious to meet my baby girl! It’s hard to believe that I will be a mother to not one, but two children in less than a week.

No comments: