Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Trees: Real or Artificial?

I've been debating over whether or not to stick with fresh cut Christmas trees, or invest in buying an artificial tree.

After reading two different articles with opposing viewpoints: How to have a 'green' Christmas & Fake evergreens are truly ever green, I'm still undecided. Fortunately, both types of trees are good for the environment in their own way.

Here are some of the reasons why I like fresh cut trees:
  • I love the scent and the way they feel.
  • I like supporting my local Christmas tree farm.
  • Now that my son is older, he finds it very exciting to pick out his own tree.
  • Real trees are almost fully recyclable and don't end up in landfills.
  • There's no storage required, which means more space in my garage.
Here are some of the reasons why I like artificial trees:
  • They're more cost-effective than real trees, since they last for years.
  • I think an artificial tree might be better for my son and I, since we both have eczema. In addition, my son suffers from food/seasonal allergies.
  • Some artificial trees look and feel very real.
  • Most of them don't pose a fire hazard (my worst fear) like real trees do.
  • They require minimal maintenance (if any).
What's your preference and why?


Ethan picking out his 2nd fresh cut Christmas tree
Almost 2 years old ~ December 2008


Ethan picking out his 1st fresh cut Christmas tree
Almost 1 year old ~ December 2007

3 comments:

Rachel said...

We do real trees. They do cost more but I don't mind shelling out $60/yr for that smell. I DO mind, however, cleaning up needles until July. Grrr.. :)

mommy2-1hoping4-2 said...

I love the fake trees. Cheaper and you can set up/take down whenever you want!

Santa said...

What about a wreath?